The first edition of the Cold Brew Championship was held at PRF Colombia in 2022, and the competition has grown ever since. On 7 & 8 March 2024, PRF Guatemala will host the fourth edition – with competitors going head-to-head to prepare two cold brew-based beverages for a panel of judges.
The winner of the first competition was Mauricio Romero from Colombia. In the edition held at PRF El Salvador, the winners were Juan Aristizabal from Colombia and Julia Dziadevych from Hungary. Finally, at the most recent championship held in Colombia, the winner was Jean Pierre Acero Cechetti of Fecve Lab from Venezuela.
The Cold Brew Championship will encourage coffee professionals to experiment with cold coffee beverages, and its designer drink round pushes competitors to innovate.
Thanks to the format of the championship, it is also accessible and inclusive for attendees from all across the supply chain – not just experienced coffee competitors and baristas.
Toddy is the Official Cold Brew Sponsor for PRF Guatemala, and will supply the competition equipment.
Jean Pierre Acero Cechetti, the reigning Cold Brew Champion of the competition, explains how important this opportunity was for him: “I am very happy to represent my country, to use a Venezuelan coffee and to have won the competition with it. Thanks to PRF for giving me this award.”
The rules & format
Prior to PRF Guatemala, all successful Cold Brew Championship competitors must attend an orientation meeting via Zoom. This meeting will provide further explanations about the competition rules, space, and schedule, and will give participants the opportunity to ask any questions.
Presentations can be in either Spanish or English, with volunteer translators available to assist if necessary. It’s important to note, however, that no additional time will be given for translations.
Each competitor should be present and ready at least 30 minutes prior to their scheduled performance time – otherwise they may face disqualification. Competitors will also be responsible for keeping the preparation area clean for the next participant.
- On day one, competitors will prepare their cold brew concentrate
- On the morning of day two, competitors will be able to practise creating their designer drink using their concentrate
- During their performance, each competitor has ten minutes to prepare and serve their cold brew dilution and designer drink to the judges
- Competitors should explain why they selected their coffee, their chosen brewing variables, and flavour notes and mouthfeel, as well as demonstrating excellent customer service skills throughout
- Their presentation should enhance the overall beverage experience
- Performance time ends when the competitor concludes by thanking the judges
The judges are looking for a Cold Brew Champion who:
- Prepares cold brew coffee beverages to exemplary quality standards
- Delivers outstanding customer service
- Clearly articulates the sensory experience of their cold brew and designer drinks
- Delivers an overall exceptional coffee and customer service experience
Cold Brew Championship judges will assess competitors based on several criteria:
- Sensory score sheet (on a scale from 1 to 10), including:
- Aroma (competitors also need to provide a ground coffee sample for this specific assessment)
- Evaluation score sheet for concentrated and diluted cold brew:
- Judges will make sensory evaluation notes for both
- Designer drink evaluation
- Prior to serving, competitors can provide specific instructions on how they want the beverage to be consumed
- Sensory and visual scoresheets categories include flavor, balance, temperature, mouthfeel, and overall impression
- Judges will also score based on creativity, design and visual appeal, overall presentation, and whether the drink would work on a coffee shop menu
- A head judge will assess proper hygiene practices during each performance
Competitors should be engaging and professional, and each presentation should draw in elements of a real-world coffee service experience. All competitors will receive either a physical or digital copy of their scoresheets.
Prospective competitors must apply in advance and have a PRF Guatemala ticket to take part.
The registration deadline for the Cold Brew Championship is 16 February 2024, and you can apply by filling out this form.